Warrenton was incorporated as a city in 1899. The town is named after D.K. Warren whose 1885 Victorian home is still standing in the town.
Next to Warrenton is Fort Stevens which is part of the Lewis & Clark National and State Historical Parks. It is home to the Battery Russell that played a part in defending the west coast of America during World War II. Fort Stevens is now a go to place for hiking, camping, or spending a day at the beach enjoying the Pacific Ocean.
In 1913, Warrenton elected Clara Cynthia Munson as mayor. She was the first woman in Oregon to be elected as mayor.
Warrenton is similar to Astoria with a maritime climate with rare highs in the summer around 90 and lows in the winter of around 30. Average temperature is 51.25 degrees, with an average rainfall of 67.2 inches per year according to U.S. Climate Data.
In June 2013 the Oregon Department of Geology and Mineral Industries (DOGAMI) released new maps showing tsunami inundation zones, evacuation routes and assembly points for communities in Clatsop County.